An Evening of Debauchery

It was Friday evening and as my now husband, brother and two of my cousins were in London, it seemed like a great idea to meet up for a drink, check out my cousin’s new girlfriend and spend an evening with my brother before he set off to Australia.

A good idea indeed until it all went horribly wrong…

It must be said that we were all feeling quite tired. Letad and my brother started the evening (or afternoon) at the fake beach at Made in Camden. www.roundhouse.org.uk

The Beach at Camden

Needless to say, I decided the fake Camden beach wasn’t my cup of tea as it’s really just a big pile of sand on top of a building with some deck chairs, so I relocated everyone to The Lansdowne as it was on my way home.  www.thelansdownepub.co.uk

I nabbed an outside table and before long Letad and my brother arrived. After a drink we started to get a second wind and as one of my cousins arrived, we were all starting to feel on good form. Funny how that happens. My other cousin and his girlfriend arrived and before we knew it, the pub was closing.

As one thing led to another we found ourselves at the corner shop buying a very expensive bottle of vodka. Apparently we all thought this was a good idea and so we crammed six people into the extremely small lift (only recommended for four and in hindsight an extremely bad idea as the lifts are often getting stuck) and we headed up to the little flat in Chalk Farm for an after party.

Letad was bartender, a role he’s held before and I should have remembered the outcome last time when we were in LA. The Bon-Voy-Birthday

The drink (not actually of choice) was straight vodka, on ice with lemon or as Letad called it, a Martini. Served in a champagne flute, it was lethal.

It was fun…

Let’s just say all was going well, dancing ensued and then, as the night wore on, it wasn’t as much fun anymore as my cousin wasn’t very well. Food poisoning!

Eventually the party ended, Letad and I went to bed but not for long as I was also struck with food poisoning. Disaster!

My cousin and I had eaten at The Lansdowne and while I’m sure the drinks didn’t help I’m absolutely convinced that there was an element of food poisoning involved.

The following morning I struggled out of bed to let the John Lewis delivery men in to deliver our wedding presents. What they must have thought I can only imagine as the bodies of my cousin and brother were strewn across the floor in the living room and I wasn’t feeling very well at all.

With the boxes stacked in the hall, I barely made it into the bathroom as the food poisoning continued and then continued for the majority of the day.

Eventually my cousin, armed with a couple of emergency plastic bags, felt strong enough to leave and my brother set off across the park to buy presents for his kids.

Letad and I sat on the sofa and opened our wedding presents. It wasn’t exactly how I’d imagined and I swore that I would never drink again…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s