I came home from work and ripped out the fireplace in the living room… as you do!
The plaster is buggered and literally fell off the wall and the original Edwardian tiles were lurking somewhere under soot and glue but not worth trying to salvage.
I have a busy day on Friday as a fly tipper is coming to clear the latest pile of rubbish, the chimney sweep is coming to hopefully install the new fireplace and the glass man should be coming to replace the broken window.
It’s all go!
I’m not sure if I’ve actually posted any photos of the good room. It’s a lovely room with a view of large magnolia tree in full blossom. We’re delighted with the colour, a brand new Farrow & Ball colour and while it’s our future bedroom, it makes a really nice temporary sitting room.
We’ve now hung the curtains and replaced the door. It is an oasis and once you go in, the temptation is never to come out again.
This was where the carpet of cremation was.
We moved the radiator from half way up the wrong wall and got rid of several metres of copper pipe.
I do love a good before and after picture and this room shows the potential of the rest of the flat. Only six more rooms to go!
It was Sunday afternoon and after a nice treat of Sunday lunch before Big T departed for France, we thought we’d bash down our final wardrobe. It was a very big, melamine monstrosity blocking the window in the small bedroom so it was time to do something about it.
It was really quite easy and before we knew it, the small bedroom felt much bigger and here’s a surprise, another fireplace lurking behind. When I say fireplace however, I really mean hole in the wall. Best not to remove the panel holding it all inside!
We now have no storage and so I had ordered a large clothing rack on wheels to provide a temporary solution. For a mere two pounds more I could have a six foot rack instead of a four foot, and so with a bargain in mind, I had ordered it without really thinking about how big a six foot rack would be. Assembling it on Sunday, it turned out to be MASSIVE!
The wardrobe relocated to the fourth bedroom unfortunately breaking a window pane which means there’s a project for this week.
And the final image, an original Edwardian hearth with an opportunity for a decorative cast iron fireplace.
So that’s our spare bedroom progressing nicely!
This week we replaced four interior doors and what a difference they’ve made so far.
The old doors were stained with years of nicotine, opened the wrong way and had to be held open with cork-stops as they kept swinging closed. Luckily I had a good collection of corks from drinking wine to cope with our living conditions. Numbing the pain.
The doors still need painting and we’re thinking of a rather striking teal as we break away from grey. Perhaps a job for my list of things to do over the next few weeks.
Check out our lovely knobs, we’ve gone over to brass and a beautiful wooden Victorian beehive knob.
The view from the hall. There’s a nice bit of plaster missing from the wall but important to have a room diffuser to create ambiance!
The floors are pretty rough with holes and loose boards and slippers are essential to avoid nails and splinters.
Next up… another wardrobe bites the dust!
I’ve been seriously snowed under over the past few weeks, I haven’t replied to emails, I haven’t written my blog, I haven’t managed to get my bike repaired so it sounds like an old bone shaker but I have just about managed to stay afloat.
We’ve been working on the flat every weekend so weekends have been covered in wallpaper stripping, dust, cleaning, ripping out wardrobes and finding more fireplaces. Monday to Friday my workload has been fast and furious. Deadlines seem to be daily and it’s all been hard graft. It feels like the run up to Christmas but without the Christmas holiday as the reward at the end.
We are making progress on the flat but it’s been slow (and doing a quick tot up of the numbers, expensive!) Every seems to cost thousands, from doors to coving, to fireplaces and don’t even start to think about kitchens and bathrooms!
For the next three weeks Big T is in France and I’m trying to move things along on the home front.
Let’s see if I can make some progress before Big T gets back!
It had been a hard week.
Very busy at work with deadlines and presentations, a flat full of dirt from electricians and plasterers, nowhere to hide as we had relocated to the living room. And Big T feeling very ill.
It seemed there was a weekend of cleaning in order to get a semblance of normality back as we’d slipped into a state of dirt and despair.
Saturday started with me stripping wallpaper in the small bedroom we’ve been using for the past three months.
By lunchtime, the wallpaper was stripped and the laminate flooring had been ripped out. Big T put the bed back (with a case of DIY Tourette’s) while I started cleaning.
Hours later all rooms were reassembled and had been cleaned. We were shattered but things felt much better.
We collapsed on the sofa with an extremely well-earned g&t and admire the new light on our future bedroom.
We now have a beautifully painted ceiling with newly installed coving and an Edwardian ceiling rose. It’s almost as good as the Sistine Chapel, at least we think so!
The new plaster is drying and feels like glass. The walls are ready for painting.
Ceiling rose all ready for a pendant light
Obviously the door still needs to be hung, the new radiator installed and final fit electrics but this room is getting close to being finished.
Only six more to go!